adopt a pet?
Adoption means you’ll save a life!
You’ll get a great animal.
You’ll get a great bargain.
All pets are good for your health, but an adopted pet is good for your self-esteem.
You’re environmentally responsible.
You’ll change a homeless animal’s whole world.
Learn how to adopt your future family pet
How do I adopt a pet?
Regular adoption hours: Adoptions are held at the Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road Sundays from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM and Wednesdays from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM. You can check our Event Calendar for special extended hours or days. If the pet you’re looking for isn’t there or those times don’t work for you, please call Humane Haven Animal Shelter (630-378-4208) for more information or an appointment.
To maximize the success of an adoption, we strive to help you find a pet that is compatible with your family and lifestyle. To ensure ample time to reflect on the importance of providing a Forever Home to an adopted cat, we do not permit “same day” adoptions to occur.
- As there are a limited number of adoption counselors, unless you are the first client to arrive, please be prepared to wait for your turn.
- An adoption application must be completed and reviewed with an HHAS adoption counselor. This takes approximately 30 minutes. All members living in the household must be present during the interview.
- If any potential pet matches are identified during the interview, then the applicant(s) will meet those pet(s).
- If the application for adoption is approved (notification occurs within 2 days), then the prospective adopter(s) are asked to give serious consideration about the decision to adopt and to leave a message as to their decision.
- Upon decision to adopt, an adoption contract and spay/neuter agreement is executed and the adoption fee is paid. HHAS accepts cash or checks as payment.
HHAS reserves the right to deny any applicant interested in adopting a pet.
What are the adoption requirements?
- An adoption applicant must be at least 21 years of age and provide picture identification (Illinois drivers license) that states correct address and telephone number.
- Applicants must live within a 1.5 hour drive of the shelter.
- To complete an adoption, a minimum of 2 visits must be made to the shelter/adoption center.
- Adoptive families must be willing to allow an authorized representative of HHAS to make an adoption follow-up(s) either in person or by telephone.
Vet Q&A: Are pets for adoption healthy?
All animals we make available for adoption, unless noted as being “Special Needs,” are determined to be healthy animals who have been:
- have their distemper & rabies shots,
- and have been tested for applicable conditions (such as feline immune deficiency virus / FIV)