adopt a pet?
Adoption means you’ll save a life!
You’ll get a great animal.
You’ll get a great bargain.
All pets are good for your health, but an adopted pet is good for your self-esteem.
You’re environmentally responsible.
You’ll change a homeless animal’s whole world.
Learn how to adopt your future family pet
How do I adopt a pet?
Important COVID-19 update to the adoption process:
You may have noticed that we have updated our website’s event calendar to remove the Sunday and Wednesday adoption hours over the next few months. This has been done to respect the guidelines of the state, to prevent crowds in the PetSmart store, and to protect our volunteers and the general public. At this time adoption interviews and cat interactions are strictly limited to be held by appointment only. This change allows HHAS to ensure social distancing guidelines are met for the safety of potential Forever Families, the employees of PetSmart, and our volunteers.
If you find a cat or kitten who catches your fancy and you’d like to learn more or schedule a session with our adoption counselors, please email us via humanehaven [at] gmail dot com OR call our 24 hour messaging service at 630-378-4208. You will receive a response within 48 hours and we will be very pleased to schedule a time for you to meet and play with the kitty that caught your interest.
The family of HHAS volunteers thank you for your understanding and support of these important changes to our process. The community is a vital part of Humane Haven’s world, and ensuring the health of those who volunteer with us or who may adopt a kitty from us is of utmost importance.
To maximize the success of an adoption, we strive to help you find a pet that is compatible with your family and lifestyle. To ensure ample time to reflect on the importance of providing a Forever Home to an adopted cat, we do not permit “same day” adoptions to occur.
- ADOPTION COUNSELING IS AVAILABLE ONLY BY APPOINTMENT
- An adoption application must be completed and reviewed with an HHAS adoption counselor. This takes approximately 30 minutes. All members living in the household must be present during the interview.
- If any potential pet matches are identified during the interview, then the applicant(s) will meet those pet(s).
- If the application for adoption is approved (notification occurs within 2 days), then the prospective adopter(s) are asked to give serious consideration about the decision to adopt and to leave a message as to their decision.
- Upon decision to adopt, an adoption contract and spay/neuter agreement is executed and the adoption fee is paid. HHAS accepts cash or checks as payment.
HHAS reserves the right to deny any applicant interested in adopting a pet.
What are the adoption requirements?
- An adoption applicant must be at least 21 years of age and provide picture identification (Illinois drivers license) that states correct address and telephone number.
- Applicants must live within a 1.5 hour drive of the shelter.
- To complete an adoption, a minimum of 2 visits must be made to the shelter/adoption center.
- Adoptive families must be willing to allow an authorized representative of HHAS to make an adoption follow-up(s) either in person or by telephone.
Vet Q&A: Are pets for adoption healthy?
All animals we make available for adoption, unless noted as being “Special Needs,” are determined to be healthy animals who have been:
- have their distemper & rabies shots,
- and have been tested for applicable conditions (such as feline immune deficiency virus / FIV)